Essays on Theatre
The following works are widely available in libraries and bookshops; most of them have been published in various editions.
- Paradoxe sur le comédien (Paradox of Acting) by Denis Diderot (written from 1769, published in 1830)
- Le Théâtre et son double (The Theatre and Its Double)
by Antonin Artaud (1938)
- An Actor Prepares by Constantin Stanislavsky (first published
in Russian in 1938)
- Le Comédien désincarné (1954) by Louis Jouvet
- A Little Organum for the Theatre (Kleines Organon für das Theater,
1948) by Bertold Brecht
- Towards a Poor Theatre (Spre un teatru sarac, 1968) by
- The Empty Space (1968) by Peter Brook
- Games for Actors and Non-Actors (200 Exerciícios para Ator e o Não-Ator com Vontade de Dizer Algo através do Teatro,
- The Paper Canoe: A Guide to Theatre Anthropology (La Canoa de papel,
1992) by Eugenio Barba
- The Small Theatre Handbook by Joann Green, Harvard Common Pr.,
- Theater Business by Jan W. Greenberg, Holt, Rinehart, 1981.
- Play Directing by Francis Hodge, Prentice-Hall, 1988.
- Modern Drama: from Ibsen to Fugard by Terry Hodgson, B.T. Batsford, 1992.
- Scene Design and Stage Lighting by Wilford O. Parker and R. C.
Wolf, Holt, Rhinehart, 1990.
- Experimental Theatre from Stanislavsky to Peter Brook by James
Roose-Evans, Routledge, 1989.
- Canadian Theatre History: Selected Readings by Don Rubin (ed.),
Copp Clark, 1996.
- The Encyclopedia of Canadian Theatre (database of information
about Canadian actors, playwrights, directors, producers, designers, theatre
organizations and institutions, composers and plays (www.canadiantheatre.com)